Stylized Alex Ward logo


RSS feed added to blog

So thanks to the RSS Plugin for 11ty I now have these posts available via RSS! The feed is linked in the footer and is available at /feed.xml.

I intend to do the same thing to the reviews page just as soon as I finish up my headphone reviews page. Which I'll definitely do, one of these days.... Read More

OSRaon Icon Set v0.1 Beta Release

Today I'm happy to reveal something I've been working on for the past month or so: an Icon Pack specifically for Old School Revival RPGs! This is something I've wanted to learn how to do for a while now, and I've been working on another OSR type project (which I'm hoping to reveal soon) and found myself looking for icon packs that I could use for dungeon maps. There were several candidates, but I could not find anything that I really liked.

So, to that end, I set about making some of my own! In... Read More

Stencil e2e testing on WSL

I ran across something while working on updating Stencil tests to use puppeteer, and figured I'd put it down to paper while I'm thinking about it.

In order to run puppeteer tests, a browser needs to be present. Now, you could probably install headless chrome in the linux subsystem (and also install a window manager because evidently puppeteer needs that in order to do some of the tests) - but that seemed a little dirty. When I was running with karma I simply set the $CHROME_BIN environment... Read More

Eleventy Rewrite + Netlify

Hey there! Long time no see.

I've been super busy doing stuff that isn't working on my personal site that I've not had any time to update it whatsoever. But since it's the holiday season and I have some time, I figured I'd rewrite it in Eleventy. Turns out it was super easy to convert from Metalsmith to Eleventy, thanks to the static blog starter. It did a huge amount of the work for me.

Over the next...whenever I can make time for it.... I'll be updating the styles to not look like the site was... Read More

GW2 Assistant Update

So! I've not actually posted about this, but I've launched a small iOS app GW2 Assistant.

Since then, we've had some issues with the local cache never clearing and the app not updating data. Because of those issues and the fact that Ionic 3 is hitting beta shelves, I'm in the process of completely rewriting the whole thing. This time, we're using redux to pass information around and persist - and leveraging some of the new quirks of Ionic 3 to hopefully tamp down on some of the issues.

Stay... Read More

Site Now in Metalsmith + Let's Encrypt

Metalsmith Rework

Permalink to “Metalsmith Rework” #

I recently got the bug to try something new and run my site using a static site generator instead of Drupal.

There are several reasons:

I wasn't really using any of the features of Drupal, and having a static site committed somewhere made more sense.

I've been writing more and more JS things, and since PHP is my day job I thought it'd be nice to have something else.

Metalsmith had been brought up before, as had Hexo and a couple of others... Read More